urbanstrong is honored to be a part of this very special project. the visionaries behind this undertaking are converting a a broken down, dirty townhouse on the upper west side of manhattan, into a showcase of green building technologies. the project is called VIRIDIAN FUTURE ONE and you can follow the development on the dedicated blog hosted here: http://viridianfuture.com/
for this project, urbanstrong’s green roof team has designed three green roof areas (two large walk-outs and one small balcony) and a green façade in the basement’s rear green house space. also included is a solar pv system on the sixth floor roof.
to date, urbanstrong has already participated in multiple site tours (NESEA Building Tour & Passive House Days Tour) and presentations on the details of this incredible project.
many other green building technologies can be explored on the site’s blog, including:
- passive house building techniques
- rainwater collection (to feed plumbing and irrigation)
- recycled, or indefinitely recyclable, or sustainably sourced building materials
Viridian Future has 4 objectives;
- To dramatically renovate 130 West 95th to Platinum LEED certification, to strive for the ultimate by registering for the Living Building Challenge, and to be a comfortable, inviting place to live.
- To inspire others to transform their homes to make a difference to the environment-(imagine if all Manhattan homes had living roofs??)
- To educate youngsters about sustainable living so that when they build their own homes ‘this is just the way we do things’
- To create a proven launch vehicle for a number of other similar renovations under the banner of “Viridian Future”.